CARAMEL APPLE FRENCH TOAST WITH POPPYSEED
10 cups (250ml cup) cubed French bread
80ml light brown sugar
7,5ml teaspoons vanilla
2,5ml teaspoon ground cinnamon
30ml poppy seeds
125ml butter, softened
385g unsweetened pie apple
250ml light brown sugar
5ml ground cinnamon
250ml coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
TOPPING AND SERVING
Powdered Sugar, Maple syrup, salted caramel topping, cream fraiche or natural yoghurt if desired
• Heat oven to 160°C or 300°F. spread the cubed bread on a large baking sheet, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until dry.
• Spray the sides and bottom of 5 lt pot or glass casserole with cooking spray.
• In large bowl, beat remaining French Toast ingredients. Fold in bread cubes to coat. Let stand 15 minutes, folding occasionally.
• Meanwhile, in small bowl, stir together all the apple pecan filling ingredients until slightly crumbly and well mixed
• Spoon ½ of bread mixture (about 4 cups) into the pot or casserole and top with half of the apple mixture. Repeat layers and sprinkle some extra poppy seeds on top
• Cover with the lid and bake in the oven at 180°C for 30 minutes. Do not open
• Place the sealed pot in the Wonderbag on a cloth or mat for 4 hours to complete the cooking process
• Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve with syrup, crème fraiche or any of the other suggested toppings
PREP TIME : 35 MINUTES
STOVE: 30 MINUTES
WONDERBAG: 4 HOURS