TENDER ROAST CHICKEN
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 Tbl dried thyme
- ½ lemon
- ½ cup plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 3 Tbl olive oil
- 10 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 brinjal, chopped and salted for 10 minutes
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ green pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 Tbl dried rosemary
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 2 Tbl tomato puree
- 1 Tbl vegetable stock powder
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbl brown sugar
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
Loosen the skin of the chicken and carefully spread the thyme in between the skin and meat. Place the lemon in the cavity.
Completely coat the chicken with the seasoned flour.
Heat the oil in a pot and fry the chicken until golden brown, turning continuously. Remove the chicken from the pot.
Add the garlic, chilli, onion, brinjal, carrot, green pepper and rosemary into the pot and fry gently for 5 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, tomato puree, stock powder, vinegar and sugar, bring to the boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
Place the chicken in the pot, breast down, and spoon some of the vegetable mixture over the chicken. Cover, bring to the boil and boil gently for 30 minutes.
Place the lidded pot in the Wonderbag for 3 hours to finish cooking.
Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.